Lime is a hybrid citrus fruit, scientifically known as Citrus aurantifolia, belongs to Rutaceae family (citrus family). Lime is a evergreen tree which is typically round, lime green and having 3-6 centimeter in diameter & growing between 6 to 13 feet in height containing acidic juices a vesicles. Lime tree is short, bushy and has dark green leaves with white blossoms and green oval fruit . It is native to Southeast Asia and also cultivated in Egypt, Asia etc. Lime oil stimulates refreshing properties.
Lime oil is extracted from fresh or dried peel of lime either by cold pressing or by steam distillation method.
Lime oil is either pale yellow or light olive in colour, sharp citrus smell and very sweet, fresh & tart.
Lime oil is blends with citronella, clary sage, rosemary, lavender, neroli and ylang ylang oils.
It is composed of α-pinene, β-pinene, myrecene, limonene, terpinolene, cineole, linalool, borneol, citral, neral acetate and geranyl acetate.
Safety and Precautions-
- Lime oil is used as ingredient in pickles, jams, marmalades, sauces, squash, sorbets, desserts, beverages, cosmetics and other industrial products.
- It helps boost immune system.
- It is also used as vaporizer as it can relieve stress, exhaustion and anxiety or calm mind.
- It is used for treatment of bleeding, cut and wounds as it promotes the coagulation of blood or contracting blood vessels so it can stop bleeding.
- It is used to wash out impurities and promote growth of new skin cells.
- It is used for treatment of rheumatism and arthritis.
- It is also used in making fragrance.
- It is used for household cleaners, detergents, soaps and other beauty products.
- It is used to remove grease spots and stickers residues on the surfaces.
- It is used as preservative as it prevent fruits from turning brown or spoil.
- It is used in add flavor to citrus infused dishes.
- It helps in cure of infections of throat, colon, mouth, intestine, stomach and urinary system.
- It is used to heal or relieve skin sores, rashes, psoriasis, gangrene, open ulcers and carbuncles.
- Being an astringent, it cures toothaches, promotes good oral health and also protects teeth from falling out.
- It is used to relieve respiratory issues as it can treat bronchitis, effective against viral infections like flu, cough, cold, mumps and measles.
- It is also used as face scrub as it revitalize the skin.
- It contains antioxidant as it can reduce dark spots due to aging.
- It is also used in insect repellant.
- It is antibacterial in nature so it helps in killings of bacteria that cause diarrhea, food poisoning, cholera and typhoid.
- It is used to tighten loose muscles and gives firmness, fitness and youth feelings.
- It is used to detoxify liver.
- As it stimulate refreshing properties so used to focus, mental clarity and uplifting energies.
Avoid using in direct sunlight because lime oil is photosensitive so it can cause skin irritation and dark pigmentation. Excessive use of oil can cause skin sensitization.